For houseplants we use tea. Compost Tea. Free Compost Tea. I started a new batch today, and here is what it looks like right now:
So, here's how you make it:
- Find a clean glass or plastic jar (mine is a peanut jar).
- Put it on your counter and put a little water in it.
- Whenever you use an egg, put the shell in the jar. (I use a spoon to crunch them down in there.)
- Whenever you make coffee, put the used grounds in the jar.
- After you've put a few egg shells & coffee grounds in, top it off with water, shake and let it sit.
- Let it sit some more.
- And let it sit some more. I shake mine once a day, but Mom says that's not necessary.
- Don't let it sit in direct sunlight or over your oven (where it will get warm). You want all the nutrients to leach out of the egg shells & grounds, but you don't want to start an algae farm!
- I let mine sit for about a week.
- When you are ready to
fertilizefeed your plants, you just strain out the eggs & grounds (I do this by pouring the contents of the jar through a paper towel into a big cup or bottle).
Sometimes I add extra water, and sometimes I just focus the "tea" full-strength on my plants that need it most.
Does it work? Well, you be the judge:
If you're new today, please take a moment to leave a comment... I love getting feedback!
For more awesome ideas from some awesome ladies, check out WFMW at it's new, temporary home, Rocks in My Dryer.