Thursday, June 3, 2010

God big.

When the sky begins to darken...
...and the wind begins to blow...

...my Wild Thing looks at me, looks outside and with such serious concern says,

"Momma. Windy. Windy, Momma."

I pick him up and hold him close. I take him outside before the rain begins to fall. We go out to see the thing he fears, to feel it blowing our hair.

And then I hear myself say the words before I realize they're in my mind...

"Don't be scared. There's nothing to be afraid of...
"...God loves us.
He gives us rain to water our garden.
He gives us wind to cool our faces.
He gives us thunder to remind us that our God is big."

And I have no idea where the words came from. I wonder why I didn't just tell him the old standby about God rearranging the furniture in Heaven. And then I see it in his eyes, and I think he's beginning to understand. In that very basic way that a two year old understands anything. And in his toddler-speak he says,

"God big."

1 comment:

  1. Priceless.

    God is big, and God is good. Very big and very good.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you (as long as you're not a robot.)!